Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Gluten Free Banana Cake With Banana Nut Icing!

My little taste tester...he licked the whole spatula, so I guess that's a positive review!

Banana Cake

2 tbsp. lemon juice

2/3 cup milk

2 large very ripe bananas, mashed

1 package yellow cake mix

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 cup butter, softened

3 eggs

1 tsp. vanilla extract
*Remember, you can just use a regular yellow cake mix if you are not Gluten Free!
Start with the Betty Crocker Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix and yes you should be able to use Betty Crocker cake mix coupons with this brand too!
Preheat Oven to 325 degrees if a glass or non-stick pan, 350 degrees for dark metal pans. Grease and flour your pan (I didn't flour mine, just sprayed it with Pam).


Put 1 tablespoon lemon juice in a measuring cup with 2/3 cup milk and set aside.


Mash 2 medium bananas with a fork and add the remaining 1 tbsp. of lemon juice to them and set aside.



In a large bowl, combine cake mix and baking soda (you don't have to add the baking soda if using this box mix as it already has baking soda in it, but I added 1/2 tsp. just to make sure!
Add bananas, softened butter, milk mixture, eggs and vanilla. Beat at low speed until moistened, then beat 4 minutes at a medium speed. Pour into prepared pan!



I was very worried about this cake before I put it in the oven as it was very thin and I didn't know how a cake was going to form, but this is what came out!!! It did take me about 40-45 minutes to cook. Just until a toothpick comes out a slight crumbly to clean. It says it should cook in 30-35, so I set it for 30 and kept checking it every 5 minutes.



Banana Nut Icing

1/2 Cup butter, softened

3 cups confectioner's sugar (check labels as some are putting

wheat starch instead of corn starch)

1 medium banana, mashed

1 cup flaked coconut (optional) I didn't use this time!

1 cup chopped pecans

1 teaspoon vanilla extract (McCormicks is gluten free)


Cream together the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

Mine wasn't light and fluffy so I added a little milk, which I wish I would have waited until all the other ingredients were in until I did that, because at the end it was a little thin. Which I could have added more sugar but it was already sweet enough!

Add the banana, coconut, pecans, vanilla and mix well.



YUM!



This is pure deliciousness! I put mine in the fridge as I love cold cake! I promise you won't taste any difference in this cake than other cake mixes! My husband loved it and so did my kids!



*Please be sure and look at all the labels of your own products at home. I can't guarantee that everything will be gluten free in your pantry!






























blog comments powered by Disqus

Disclaimer

Information and data provided on this site is for entertainment purposes only. The comments are merely opinions, and should not be constructed as medical, legal, financial or other professional advice. I make no representation to the accuracy or validity of any information on this site and will not be held liable for any errors, omissions, deletes in information, losses, injuries or damages arising from its display or use. My blog has includes links to pictures/other sites/blogs operated by third parties. If you find information that is from your website and you would like it removed, please contact me.

Material on this side is intended for an adult audience. To participate in giveaways or contests, you must be at least 18 years of age or older.