Monday, March 8, 2010

Garage Sales 101

**I am having a garage sale at the end of the month and it reminded me of a previous post I wrote! Here It Is Again! I know that for some people, when they think of Spring, they think of green grass, flowers blooming, and thunderstorms. Not me...not this frugal coupon lady! I think of Garage Sales!!! It's one of my favorite hobbies. I LOVE to go to garage sales and see what bargains I can find. I have had my share of garage sales as well. I have learned many things along the way and I wanted to share some of my secrets with you, as I am starting to see those Garage Sale signs go up already!!!!!
Garage Sales 101-Tips for the Seller and Buyer


1. Signage is KEY!

If I can't find your sale, neither can anybody else! I get so frustrated with bad signs or not enough of them. If your home is far from the main street, put signs up every 3 blocks or else other sales will look like yours or else I am just going to turn around!

**I wish I would have taken pics of my signs from my last sale. They were bright pink with yellow polka-dotted arrows! They got lots of attention and guess what that meant...lots of customers!


2. Garage sales are meant to get rid of your junk!

At the end of the sale, most people will take what they don't sale to Goodwill...so remember that, when you are trying to get $10 for your crappy toaster! I have actually seen items in a garage sale for more than I could go buy it new!


3. If you are wanting more than $10 for an item, consider selling it on Craigslist!

I generally won't buy anything more than $10, unless it's in excellent condition or a large item!


4. Put as many items in the driveway as possible!

It makes your sale seem larger and allows people to see what you have for sale!


5. Kids clothes should not be over $1.00! I will buy triple what I would usually if the amount is $1.00 or less. I always sell my clothes for $0.25 cents a piece, unless it's in exceptional condition and then I hang all those items on hangers with special tags. Otherwise, there is a sign that says, All Folded Clothes-$0.25 !!! People buy bags full! They think and know they are getting a great deal!


6. Keep everything neat and organized!

After people rummage through the clothes, fold them and organize them again! I want the next customers to find things easily too!


7. Barter, Barter, Barter!

I would say 90% of the time, I get it for a better deal than I would have if I paid full price! I can only think of 3 times I've been told NO!


8. Go to community sales!

That way you can park once, see many sales and make the most of your day.


9. Plans sells with your neighbors!

I am more apt to stop at a sale if there is another close by!


10. Some people sell things of value for very cheap!

The reason- they don't know what their items are worth. If you are the seller- check questionable items on ebay for a idea if it's of value. Buyer- it's your lucky day! One time I missed some scrapbook supplies for $30 that I could have sold on ebay for at least $75! I took the time to call my husband to check ebay for me and by the time I got back they were gone! (This is where a smart phone would come in handy...my hubby still won't let me get one)


11. Provide bags for your customers!

It's a nice thing to do and makes carrying things so much easier!


12. Take your larger bills into the house for safe keeping!

Don't keep too much money just hanging around. I always have a lockable box and I don't feel bad carrying it around if it's busy.


13. Have a Friends and Family Night!

I had my first a few year's ago on the evening before my sale started. Sure, a few strangers stopped by, but my friends got the best stuff I had!! **Plus friends don't barter much** LOL!


14. Just remember the point of a garage sale is to get rid of your junk!

I would much rather take a little less for something than have to bother with packing it up and hauling it off after my sale is over!


Do you have some great Garage Sale 101 Tips? Please share them with us!

~Once Garage Sales are in full swing, look for my "Trash To Treasure" segment! ~

blog comments powered by Disqus

Disclaimer

Information and data provided on this site is for entertainment purposes only. The comments are merely opinions, and should not be constructed as medical, legal, financial or other professional advice. I make no representation to the accuracy or validity of any information on this site and will not be held liable for any errors, omissions, deletes in information, losses, injuries or damages arising from its display or use. My blog has includes links to pictures/other sites/blogs operated by third parties. If you find information that is from your website and you would like it removed, please contact me.

Material on this side is intended for an adult audience. To participate in giveaways or contests, you must be at least 18 years of age or older.